Friday, April 12, 2024

43 Years Ago, This Morning -- NASA's Reusable "Space Shuttle Era" Opened.


I watched it all, on that morning, on the university's student union grill TV -- the grill then called Alfred E. Packer's.

And I knew to a certainty, that space exploration had forever been changed, in that sudden blinking of an eye. A large international space station would be feasible, as would what became the Hubble space telescope, and dozens of other new scientific endeavors, now that we could haul stuff up to orbit, and bring it all back down -- and the crews, with it -- over and over again. Here's the bit:

. . .The First Space Shuttle: NASA astronauts John W. Young, commander, and Robert L. Crippen, pilot, aboard. . . .

The new era in space flight began on April 12, 1981. That is when the first Space Shuttle mission (STS-1) was launched. The Marshall Space Flight Center developed the propulsion system for the Space Shuttle. STS-1 was meant to demonstrate a safe launch into orbit and a safe return of the orbiter and crew, as well as verify the combined performance of the entire shuttle vehicle – orbiter, solid rocket boosters and external tank.

The first space shuttle landed at Edwards Air Force Base in California on April 14, 1981, after having successfully tested its major systems. . . .


It both seems like. . . yesterday, and like. . . a million years, and miles. . . ago -- too.

Whoosh!

नमस्ते

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though I' old enough, I don't remember Columbia's inaugural flight. I do remember watching the Challenger disaster. However, it's not something I talk about because of where I was, who I was with, and the horrific things that had been done to them. That was the year I was introduced to the true nature of pharmaceutical research and development.

condor said...

I am so sorry, Anon. Truly.