Wednesday, May 7, 2014

My Buddy Matt Herper Had The Story While I Was Off-Grid: AH Not Likely To Be Sold


I missed out on being timely with this, as I was away visiting with friends most of yesterday -- even so, I know most of you read Matt Herper's Twitter feed, or catch his longer form pieces in Forbes, almost everyday. So I was not worried you'd be left in the dark.

And so, I know most of you have already read his piece, filed from Merck's business update in Boston yesterday. I'll mark it here, just the same. For just as I said it would -- Consumer Health sold first (as the more likely deal) -- and now Animal Health isn't likely to be sold, at all -- by the ever-savvy Merck Chairman Kenneth Frazier. Size matters. But do go read all of Matt's fine analytical writing at that last link (here's a bit):

. . . ."We’re looking at strategic options for our animal health business," Frazier told me in an interview. "But my current point of view is that the business has scale it has strong growth prospects it’s got a favorable macroeconomic outlook and a strong pipeline. So I would be looking for opportunities to build onto that business. . . ."


Again, Mr. Frazier is two steps ahead of Mr. Read -- doubling down on immuno-oncology, while releasing non-core assets. Were I a better, I'd short Pfizer (or use put options, with at least 180 day expiries, and then close it out on the next Pfizer five per cent down draft. . . it is coming. . .). And I'd likely go long Merck (but gingerly so) at this point. Anyhoo -- I'm not really a bettor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Look for Merck to possibly consider buying the Pfizer AH spinoff company. Too early to commit either way but it's more than a rumor.