Wednesday, August 16, 2017

What Wonders Will The Final Month -- And Four Orbits -- Reveal? [With A Side Of "Resist"]


Let's listen in on NASA's coverage -- via an overnight ScienceCast:



And, as a bonus -- see last evening's peaceful, easy resistance in Chicago -- at bottom, as 45 doubled down on his support of white supremacists. It all came together in about an hour; and with them, I marched -- at least insofar as it led me to my evening movie in the park. Smile. As we await the Southern Baptists' leadership -- for a truly Christian condemnation of white supremacist domestic terrorism and murder -- I will offer this, penned from the jail-cell, on scraps of paper -- in Birmingham, Alabama in April of 1963 -- by Dr. King:

. . . .I have traveled the length and breadth of Alabama, Mississippi and all the other southern states. On sweltering summer days and crisp autumn mornings I have looked at the South's beautiful churches with their lofty spires pointing heavenward. I have beheld the impressive outlines of her massive religious education buildings. Over and over I have found myself asking: "What kind of people worship here? Who is their God? Where were their voices when the lips of Governor Barnett dripped with words of interposition and nullification? Where were they when Governor Wallace [and candidate Donald Trump] gave a clarion call for defiance and hatred? Where were their voices of support when bruised and weary Negro men and women decided to rise from the dark dungeons of complacency to the bright hills of creative protest?"

Yes, these questions are still in my mind. In deep disappointment I have wept over the laxity of the church. But be assured that my tears have been tears of love. There can be no deep disappointment where there is not deep love. Yes, I love the church. How could I do otherwise? I am in the rather unique position of being the son, the grandson and the great grandson of preachers. Yes, I see the church as the body of Christ. But, oh! How we have blemished and scarred that body through social neglect and through fear of being nonconformists. . . .
And here's a bit, from last evening's spontaneous, peaceful and upbeat marchers, along Washington Boulevard. . . and turning north, onto State Street -- at 6 PM CDT:



[UPDATE: The SBC issued this statement last evening.] Where indeed are the Southern Baptists in denouncing these domestic terrorists? I have given up on our man-child-president. His words are without meaning -- as he proves daily that he means none of them, with any permanence.

Onward, just the same -- beaming toward an eclipse road trip, later this weekend. . . grin!

नमस्ते

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And more push back against the yellow duck:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/us-military-service-chiefs-condemn-racism-stand-military/story?id=49250803

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-business-council-charlottesville_us_59947976e4b0acc593e4757f?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009


I am pleased for the standing up!

condor said...

Excellent, Anon. -- as ever!

I would only add that J&J had tweeted yesterday they felt their CEO needed to "stay engaged" to advocate for moderation in 45's views (was the implication). By noon today, as Trump was front running the decision the members made to disband, J&J put out a statement saying it too was leaving the council.

I note it since J&J competes with Merck.

Merck should get "first mover" credit here!

Namaste... do take good care!

Anonymous said...

You too~~especially when participating in the peaceful protests.
I'm trying to connect with those faculty at UVa that went to the vigil last night.

Wonderful movement by them~

condor said...

indeed. as dr. king said ". . .only light can do that. . . ."

there are vigils scheduled here as well -- i'll go by after summerdance chicago. peace will conquer hate.

namaste, travel well -- and travel light. . .

smile. . . .