Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Having Broken With The Covenants Of My Upbringing -- I Post This To Affirm The Views Of All Good People Of Nashville...


So it seems that some people interpret the Bible -- and their New Testament -- to exclude what Christ called "the least of my brothers" -- in Luke 10:30, et seq.

Here's the appropriate answer, courtesy the Washington Post:

. . . .Re #Nashville Statement:

I affirm: That God loves all LGBT people. I deny: That Jesus wants us to insult, judge or further marginalize them.

I affirm: That all of us are in need of conversion. I deny: That LGBT people should be in any way singled out as the chief or only sinners.

I affirm: That when Jesus encountered people on the margins he led with welcome not condemnation. I deny: That Jesus wants any more judging.

I affirm: That LGBT people are, by virtue of baptism, full members of the church. I deny: That God wants them to feel that they don’t belong.

I affirm: That LGBT people have been made to feel like dirt by many churches. I deny: That Jesus wants us to add to their immense suffering.

I affirm: That LGBT people are some of the holiest people I know. I deny: That Jesus wants us to judge others, when he clearly forbade it.

I affirm that the Father loves LGBT people, the Son calls them and the Holy Spirit guides them. I deny nothing about God’s love for them. . . .


So it goes. And -- for almost 20 years now, I have preferred the Zen formulation of these ideas. . . but I do accept with relish this fine Catholic Priest's counter to the non-sense some people are apparently calling the Nashville Statement. I would confidently think that most of the good people of Nashville would prefer the other hate-filled words not be associated with their fine city's name. Now you know.

नमस्ते

No comments: