Saturday, March 19, 2011

Teva/Merck's "Authorized Generic" Pill Green-lighted By EU Authorities


It is at least possible that this minor announcement was a quiet part of the settlement of the much more significant Temodar patent spat -- lately-pending between these two companies, Merck and Teva.

The Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use has cleared the Teva version of a Merck contraceptive, per Bloomberg, yesterday:

. . . .Drugmakers Merck & Co. and Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. said Friday a European advisory committee gave a positive recommendation for their birth control tablet for women.

The pill contains an estrogen that is structurally identical to the major estrogen produced by the ovaries of healthy non-pregnant women, said Israel-based Teva. . . .

We'll keep you posted, but the availability of an authorized generic will inexorably decrease Merck's branded sales.

[And, if I may, just a small side note -- this post marks my 2,000th post, here. That's a lot. And so, I may call it a career here, and soon -- as my non-blogging life is demanding more of my attention these days.]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you will stay with it until the Improve-It results are published? And certainly you wouldn't miss out on the Remicade decision.

Anonymous said...

Would hate to see you pack it in, as I would miss your thorough and informative posts.

condor said...

Thanks -- and perhaps what I should plan on doing is posting less often, and only writing longer, original pieces for major Merck developments (like the J&J outcome; IMPROVE-IT and the New AH Merial JV Restart) -- as I am simply not going to have the luxury of time I previously enjoyed -- for at least the balance of this year, 2011 -- and perhaps beyond.

Anonymous said...

I agree you will be sorely missed. Postings on major news would certainly be worthwhile however, when bloggers stop posting regularly blogs die as readers get tired of checking in and not finding anything new. Perhaps you could post a weekly highlights (e.g. bullet points) that will keep the blog going and will allow the readership to find that major news when it comes along. I think that weekly would be the minimum otherwise readers forget to check every 2nd or 3rd week.

Salmon

Condor said...

I hear you Salmon --

No matter what, I'll likely do weekend updates -- covering the week thzt was -- at New Merck.

My weekends will remain my own.

I might even switch to an every other day format -- just with quick bulletins, on every odd numbered day, for example. We'll see.

Namaste