While I was out of town, a kind commenter pointed us to a job opening posted on Merk's-web-hosted employment opportunities pages. The commenter suggested that perhpas Merck should have filled the position before executing the Dutch layoffs (which layoffs have triggered protests and Dutch Works Council litigation).
The commenter is spot on. Here is the title of the job, and its reference number. For obvious reasons, I won't be establishing a login identity at Merck's hosted job board -- so, I cannot post the whole job description -- but if a kind commenter would like to log in, and then copy and paste the full description for Job "GLO000100", I'll set it below. -- DONE! Indeed -- irony, that's for me:
. . . .Leader Europe Canada Communications-GLO000100. . . .
The Leader Europe Canada Communications is a senior communications executive required to lead the planning and execution of internal and external communications strategies for the company across Europe and Canada. Provides direct communications support to the region president and other senior regional executives, and counsels country organizations on local communications activities to build talent and ensure alignment with Global Communications strategies in the following areas: branding and reputation, employee communications, media relations, corporate responsibility and policy communications and incident planning/crisis communications. Works closely with GHH (Global Human Health) Communications to ensure alignment on regionwide product communications initiatives and divisional internal communications strategies. Coordinates on an ongoing basis with MMD (Merck Manufacturing Division) and MRL (Merck Research Labs) communications leadership to ensure that key divisional initiatives occurring at the regional level are well coordinated and supported from an internal and external communications perspective.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Drives the development and coordination of internal and external communication strategies supporting the objectives of the region president, other regional executives, and Global Communications leadership
* Oversees and counsels a team of professionals providing direct support to the region and guides their growth and development
* Counsels senior Merck leaders on communications strategies to improve understanding and support for the company and its business objectives
* Ensures regional and local alignment with Global Communications strategies for reputation management, employee communications, product communications, and media relations
* Drives the adoption of best practices and standard communications processes in the region
* BS/BA degree and 10+ years relevent experience
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Understands and effectively communicates across multiple languages and cultures
* English fluency is required; foreign language skills strongly preferred
* Strong understanding of the business and regulatory environment in which Merck competes and communicates
* Demonstrates initiative, strategic thinking and creative problem solving in response to the communications challenges and opportunities faced by the company
* Effectively coaches, counsels and builds teams
* Embodies the Merck Leadership Standards as ambassador, mentor, colleague and senior level communications counselor
* Position can be based in the US or the Europe/Canada region. Regardless of location, a minimum of 30% international travel will be required
August 26, 2010 12:34 PM