Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"The Issue is Credibility. . . in the Eyes of the Doctors" -- Analyst


I think this reaction, earlier today -- from a smallish-bank's analyst -- largely misses the mark as to whether there is a real problem with Vytorin, but he certainly gets it right about the crux of Schering's most-vexing problem:

Credibility. Or the lack thereof.

. . . .The inconclusive finding Tuesday, based on further data analysis, leaves uncertainty about the safety of the drug, the New England Journal editors wrote, and many other doctors interviewed by journalists agreed.

Analyst Steve Brozak of WBB Securities said he's never seen the medical community focus so heavily on the results of a study.

"The scrutiny isn't because of the results," Brozak said. "I think the issue is credibility" of the pharmaceutical industry in the eyes of doctors.

He said doctors feel so badly burnt by safety problems emerging after drugs become blockbusters that they have become hypercritical.

Both the new findings and a long-delayed study released in March indicate that Vytorin isn't better than one of its components, now-generic Zocor, at preventing damage to the heart's aortic valve from worsening or at limiting plaque buildup in arteries. . . .

That analyst got it at least half-right.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe that physicians and health care professionals are being hypercritical.

Rather I believe that many are beginning to realize the true nature of the pharmaceutical business.

Considering that this is the beginning of campaign season yet Congress has immediately begun to focus on SP I predict that much more damaging evidence will be emerging about the pharmaceutical industry in the near future.

Salmon

Anonymous said...

Agreed, Salmon.

This bank analyst only "half" gets it.

But he is right that Schering's credibility with the cardiologists is now deeply scarred.

Namaste

Anonymous said...

My name is Wendy Rosko and i would like to show you my personal experience with Zocor.

I am 60 years old. Have been on Zocor for 8 days now. MD stopped med when I reported muscle pain and sent me for a blood test to measure muscle inflamation. Off med for 2 days and still having muscle cramps in arms and legs. No generalized aching.

I have experienced some of these side effects -
had leg cramps which I didn't realize were a side effect. On day 8 I woke up feeling as if I had the flu - bad muscle aches and cramps.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Wendy Rosko