Thursday, August 7, 2008

Trivial Pursuit! Guess the Compound! A Prize for the Winner!


~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATED: 08.08.08 @ 10 AM EDT
~~~~~~~~~~~




We have a WINNER -- Peter Norman has correctly identified the compound as "boceprevir" [honorable mention to Salmon, for quite correctly pointing out that I am missing a nitrogen (but what's an element, or two, between friends?) in my schematic -- C'mon, folks! -- What gives? What of this isn't quite free enough for you?! Heh! -- Seriously, though, thanks, Salmon!] Peter has also completed the "extra credit" portion, by explaining its relevance to the topics covered on this blog.

Congrats! -- would each of you two prefer Amazon online gift cards (limit $25)? Or, would each of you prefer to post a book you'd like, on an Amazon (or other) wish-list, and I'll make arrangements to have it bought for you? Let me know in comments!

Well-done! This is one very heady group, here assembled!

~~~~~~~~~~~
END UPDATE
~~~~~~~~~~~


Take a close look at the compound below. You may click the image, to enlarge it, if need be:



Now, enter your answer, in the comment box, below -- if you know what the above compound is -- and, extra credit goes to anyone explaining "the why" -- why does this compound appear/belong here, particularly?

I promise a fabulous prize (no, truly!) to the first correct responder, in the comments, below. Ready. . . Steady. . . GO!

[Answers to appear here, this coming Friday afternoon morning -- intervening events call for the employment of this graphic, so. . . .]

12 comments:

Peter Norman said...

The drug is boceprevir

Schering has just reported good phase II data on the efficacy of the drug in type I genotype hepatitis C patients, suffcent to hit Vertex shares.

Efficacy and adverse events appear to be similar to those reported for telaprevir , and the efficacy is better than had been widely anticipated.

Anonymous said...

Ah actually it's not boceprevir.

I don't know what it is, but boceprevir has another nitrogen before the iso-butyl group.

Salmon

Petros said...

That's nice to hear. Since I'm in the UK an Amazon voucher would be more suitable

(BTW you mistyped my name!)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Peter -- So, do you want the voucher posted, old school, by mail, or to your email address?

If the link to your blogger profile works, I can send it there, too. Just let me know -- here.

Cheers!

Petros said...

Condor

To my e-mail address please

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Petros -- your email does not show on your blogger profile.

A suggestion, if I might?

Post it in the yellow box on my site -- (see lower left margin matter) -- I'll delete it as soon as I get it -- no one will have a permanent link to it.

Alternatively you could post it here. . .

Let me know.

Anonymous said...

Nothing for me. Peter deserves it.

However if you and your readers would like a recommendation I would recommend:

Selective Toxicity by Adrien Albert. I believe the last printing was the 7th edition back in 1981 or 82 but it's still worth it's weight in gold for learning about chemical structures and their relationships to their effects, or just as a reference.

I believe the reason this field (medicinal chemistry) kind of died out is because the drug companies realized that it gave too much insight to too many people into what they were doing.

Salmon

Anonymous said...

Two more notes:

(1) Thank you, Salmon -- great recommendation on the reading list; and as to your demurrer: that is gracious of you, but I do feel you've won a prize (if any of your reticence is driven by the fact that you are anonymous, might I propose you look at item (2) below?). . . .

(2) One other alternative, here, Peter/Petros (and/or Salmon!) -- if either/each of you set up an Amazon "Wish-List" -- for yourself, or for some friend or some charity, even, that you favor -- I can purchase an item on THAT wish-list, for you, without either of you having to share an email address here, with me.

You, or your designee gets the Gift Card/Wish List item fulfilled, and my conscience is clear.

Cool? Let me know.

Petros said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Captured your e-mail address (deleted post, immediately above), Petros -- and I took the liberty of removing it, immediately after I copied it down. Look for your Amazon Gift Card, to that email addy within 20 minutes!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Again Condor Thanks.

I'd like to just put any prize on hold for now. I'm working on what I really want. Honesty from drug companies, academia, and the FDA.

As for a prize I hope that if Fred and others get what they really deserve, that in 2009 you and I can finally meet and have a coffee, or something else if you don't drink coffee, and we can really have a freewheeling discussion about things that this forum really doesn't lend itself to.

Anonymous said...

Then coffee it is, Salmon.

Count on it -- "Offline -- in '09!"

It does have a ring to it, no?

Cheers!